Thursday 17 January 2013

Best Albums of 2012! (2)






2. Kendrick Lamar. good kid m.A.A.d city

Lyrical virtuosity is a rare commodity in the modern era. Don't get me wrong, there are great wordsmiths out there. Some who can make a song that much more wittier, fragile...and ultimately interesting. But these attributes are not what I have in mind for 'lyrical virtuosity'

Let me explain.

Lyrical virtuosity to me is the ability to create and engineer words around music and tracks that form a spellbinding narrative as a whole. Joanna Newsom is one such talent, but even her magical album, 'Have One On Me' doesn't flow in its storytelling as much as does in its individual novellas.

What makes Lamar's album different from so many in 2012 is its ability to maintain its hooks, it's outside guest spots, and yet still drive its narrative to honest and heart emboldening heights.

The narration of inner city life struggles, everyday moral struggles and family dynamics positions Lamar as probably the best MC since Lil Wayne dropped 'Tha Carter III', at least I can't think of as strong a collection since. Even the vocal samples have a duel purpose of placing Lamar as both real and character.

It all comes to its natural emotional apex on 'Sing About Me, I'm Dying Of Thirst' the recorded moment of 2012 (if not the best song of the year individually). The intensity and brilliance of what comes before earns it that title.

We may have a contender on our hands.

My number 1 and 2 albums could almost be interchangeable but what keeps good kid m.A.A.d city at 2 is I probably don't relate to it as much as nĂºmero uno.

It's the album of 2012 I'm most wowed by and technically by this lists is the best of 2012, if not quite my favourite, _________ moves me just a little more...

Recycle this: Sing About Me, I'm Dying Of Thirst, Money Trees, Swimming Pools (Drank)







No comments:

Post a Comment