Friday 27 November 2009

My Q&A with Richard Linklater (School of Rock, Before Sunrise/Sunset)



I was lucky to have the opportunity to ask Richard about some of his career highs and future plans.  Due to the number of q's being diverted towards his general direction, it's short, but I guess I managed to put across most of what I had planned so not the end of the world...

Q. I want to know how richard and his director of photography managed to create real
time scenes in before sunset.was a lot of it spontaneous?

A. That was the conception of the movie, that it would unfold in real time, in the
later afternoon - of course that made shooting a bit tricky as we had to match the light - often we would
rehearse all day and shoot a seven minute scene over and over for about the hour half window that the
light was right - we had painted ourselves in a corner conceptually, but every film needs something
about it that makes it near impossible.

Q. School of rock 2..? would it work? i mean the first one kinda did everything...

A. Greatly exaggerated at this point, so not on the front burner

Q. What was it like witnessing the chemistry between Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy
on camera? Was it as big a thing for you as it was for audiences? Will there be a third?

A. Who knows? It took us 9 years the first time around... We love working
together but that alone isn't reason enough to make a movie, if the single compelling core idea
emerges I suspect I'm sure we'd all be back at it.

Q. Any news on the 'Untitled 12-year Richard Linklater Project' iMDB seems to be
covering?

A. Ah... my 12 year project that I was hoping to do and complete in anonymity...
Damn that IMDB! Strange to talk about a film that no-one can see for another five or so years, but I just
filmed another section a week ago, we tend to shoot about two or three days a year - the kid I'm
creating a fictional world around is in junior high now.

Richard Linklater's new film, Me & Orson Welles, stars Zac Efron & Claire Danes and is widely released on 4th December!

No comments:

Post a Comment