Thursday 22 October 2009

Won't Be Remembering The Name (Fame)

Remember, remember, remember my name... So the cast of a retrodden musical plead. But unfortunately, I have to say, I do not think I will be.

Fame, the re-make hit our screens earlier this month.  For me, this was a big deal.

I loved the original and I was in raptures over the West-End stage play, so waiting in cinema, I was eagerly anticipating and mentally rehearsing what and how Tancharoen (director) was going to deliver. 



Sadly, he didn’t and couldn't.  His background in made-for-tv concert films meant that cinematic flare was missing, sapping potential dramatic moments straight from the offset.  The picture from beginning to end was a let-down. If you had walked into the cinema with a blindfold on, you would have had no clue as to what it was you were watching. Assuredly, there were several ‘Fame-esque’ moments (sassy dance routines, and fame-hungry characters) but all in all, I would say, it was a pitiful attempt at trying to re-hype old buzz.

The film revolves around a handful of students, all trying to better their craft and 'make it big'. For me, none of the characters stood out, or ‘shone’, so if it were an audition, none of them passed the test. The acting is mediocre and the storylines, passable. I don’t know what went wrong with this film as it had such a great base to work from.  Perhaps, without sounding too cynical, the problem is in whom the intended target audience is.  I think the only thing that I did enjoy ever so fleetingly, were the actual dance performances. The dancing was seductive, enticing and at times inventive with the singing leaving me with goosepumps.

All-in-all Fame misses a trick by reaching out to a far younger audience than previous iterations.  I think it is safe to say that sometimes (nay, most of the time), classics are best left alone.

So sorry Fame, but I won’t be remembering your name.


Grade: C- (4.5/10)

No comments:

Post a Comment